Legal Momentum (LM), The Women’s Legal Defense and Education Fund (formerly NOW Legal Defense and Education Fund), is the country’s oldest women’s rights advocacy organization. We bring about meaningful social change and reform through impact litigation, policy advocacy, and judicial and public education. LM’s legal and education programs address combating discrimination and exploitation of women and girls, Title IX campus assault, gender equality in the courts, violence against women, employment equity, and economic security.
LM is seeking a Project Coordinator to join our team as a full-time employee based in New York City. This is an exciting new position for a passionate, organized team player with strong ties to both community organizations and traditional legal spaces who is committed to advancing the rights of women and girls, who is not afraid of change, and is ready to push the envelope and think innovatively and creatively on how to address and correct the most pressing matters of injustice.
The Project Coordinator will work with the Executive Team to coordinate key projects and initiatives, provide administrative support, and coordinate pro bono legal assistance, information, and service referrals.
The responsibilities of the Project Coordinator include:
- Coordinate ongoing special projects and legal policy matters in areas including the Equal Rights Amendment task force, anti-child trafficking national alliance, pro bono coordination, National Task Force to End Sexual and Domestic Violence coalition.
- Work with the CEO and Legal Director to provide administrative support to the LM team for amicus briefs, review articles, legal reports, and other written materials.
- Assist in administrative support for the Legal Department including drafting correspondence; maintaining case dockets and subject matter files.
- Supervise intake and referral functions, and ensure prompt and appropriate responses to calls and e-mails received from the public seeking legal and other services.
- Post materials on LM website in conjunction with Communications Department; post and maintain referral resources on website; collect and analyze feedback from public.
- Respond to requests for information and documents, including Internet and Lexis research to support Legal Department work.
- Assist in screening potential legal clients – including initial intakes – and coordinate LM attorney response.
- Maintain up-to-date national list of referral resources, including an on-line version.
Legal Momentum is seeking a detail-oriented, organized, creative and administratively savvy problem-solver with proven office and interpersonal skills who has the following qualities:
- Three (3) to five (5) years working to advance access to justice and civil liberties; relevant graduate experience and/or high level work in a related field.
- Passionate about creating social change and ensuring justice for all.
- Ability to prioritize and simultaneously accomplish a multitude of tasks with minimal supervision.
- Excellent plain language writer; and grammar and proofreading skills.
- Connection to and/or close ties with community organizations and national legal groups.
- Some knowledge of Web editing and blogging.
Legal Momentum is an equal opportunity employer and we encourage applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, race, color, religion, national origin, age, or sexual orientation. We pay commensurate with experience and we have a very generous benefits package. Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and two references (including daytime telephone numbers) by email or in hard copy to:
16 E. 34th Street, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10016
Attn: Project Coordinator Vacancy