Legal Momentum: The Women's Legal Defense and Education Fund was founded as the NOW Legal Defense and Education Fund in 1970. Legal Momentum advances the rights of women and girls by using the power of the law and creating innovative public policy. We are the oldest national women’s rights legal advocacy organization, with a rich history in litigation and public policy development. e have worked to enact, expand, and enforce many of the most important laws and policies that affect women, including employment rights under Title VII, educational equity under Title IX, the Pregnancy Discrimination Act, and the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA.)
Legal Momentum has openings from time to time for a Development and Communications Intern who is a Graduate or Undergraduate student with related major and/or interest in nonprofits, fundraising, communications, marketing, and/or event planning.
The Development/Communications Internship will include extensive research, event planning and execution, drafting correspondence, reports, social media and blog posts, entering data, participating in strategy discussions, and collaborating with both the Development and Communications staff. This is an excellent opportunity to learn about fundraising and communications in a dynamic non- profit organization that has a long history in civil rights advocacy.
This internship position is unpaid and students are expected to be enrolled in a course which awards academic credit for the internship experience.
Candidates should have superior writing and a wide range of computer skills including knowledge of Excel, Word, and social media. This position also requires attention to detail, a strong willingness to learn, and an interest in women’s rights. Our goal is to provide interns with experience in a wide range of communications and development disciplines.
- Please submit a cover letter outlining interests, resume, and 2 references (at least 1 from a current professor).
- Send application to Legal Momentum, 16 East 34th Street, 6th Floor, New York, NY 10016, or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All applicants must be able to provide an Internship for Credit Eligibility Letter to be considered.
- Applicants will be interviewed to qualify for the internship. Interviews are done in person or by phone.
- This position is available year-round. The hours are flexible but interns are expected to work at least 10 hours per week.
Legal Momentum is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. updated April, 2017