Fellowship Announcement: January 2017
2017-18 Gender Justice Fellow (two-year position)
For nearly 50 years, Legal Momentum's gender justice advocates have devised cutting-edge strategies and innovative tools to achieve gender equality. Legal Momentum’s mission is to transform our society into one where all women and girls are economically secure, empowered to make their own choices, and live and work free of discrimination and violence.
In the last four decades, Legal Momentum has made significant strides in advancing gender equality in the workplace by providing direct services to individual women who have been harmed, by bringing impact litigation that helps all women, and by drafting and helping to enact statutes that protect women in the workplace. Along these lines, Legal Momentum has long-standing close working relationships with Cornell University’s School of International Labor Relations (ILR) in New York City, as well as with the award-winning legal clinics at Rutgers Law School. Like Legal Momentum, both of these institutions are known for their strong social justice missions and successes. These partnerships serve as laboratories for developing the most innovative forms of research and advocacy to promote gender equality in the workplace.
THE GENDER JUSTICE FELLOW:
The Legal Momentum Gender Justice Fellowship Program recruits professionals from diverse disciplines including education, law, media, and technology. The 2017 incoming Fellow will work with grassroots organizations, media, government entities, labor unions, and advocacy organizations on behalf of Legal Momentum’s mission of gender equality, with a strategic focus on parity in the workplace. The Fellow will serve as an ambassador for our work, particularly among girls and younger women. She will be social media savvy and will reach new audiences to promote gender equality, and devise remedies to end inequality.
The Fellow will:
- Use technical assistance tools, media, coalition-building, and grassroots advocacy to help girls and women obtain stable, secure, and well-paying jobs in their careers of choice; and
- Help design, implement, and support efforts to provide technical assistance and scholarship about workplace equity in the federal court system, particularly as it relates to employment and pregnancy discrimination.
AREAS OF FOCUS FOR THE GENDER JUSTICE FELLOW:
Women who want to work in traditionally male occupations often face entry requirements that bear little relationship to job performance, and are designed to screen women out. Even when women do get past these barriers, courts have found that they often do not progress in their jobs because of discriminatory supervision, failure to promote, and harassment. This occurs in industries as diverse as uniformed services, technology, and financial services. We educate to end these barriers, and we advocate on behalf of women who face them.
Legal Momentum has won major legal victories on behalf of victims of employment and pregnancy discrimination. The Gender Justice Fellow will continue Legal Momentum’s impactful work by raising awareness about gender discrimination in the workforce, and helping to end it, by:
- Working directly with grassroots coalitions, particularly those concerned with low-wage workers;
- Working with employers to create new and innovative industry standards that promote gender inclusion and gender equality;
- Creating innovative teaching materials for the public about gender discrimination and workplace inequality to reach a broad spectrum of audiences, from low-wage workers to highly specialized professionals;
- Publicizing settlements in the media to educate women about the desirability and feasibility of employment in nontraditional fields;
- Raising awareness in the federal judiciary about gender discrimination in employment;
- Speaking to union members about gender discrimination in the workplace;
- Providing technical assistance and legal referrals to women who have suffered workplace discrimination, and assessing their ability to be plaintiffs in new impact suits;
- Speaking to community and immigrant advocacy groups about workplace protections; and
- Providing technical and legal assistance to organizations that advocate for gender equality in the workplace.
- Outstanding academic record;
- Creative thinker;
- Ability to prioritize multiple assignments and meet deadlines related to each project;
- At least two years of social justice-oriented prior experience;
- Demonstrated commitment to women's rights, civil rights, and human rights issues;
- Excellent writing skills;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to work in teams, with people of diverse backgrounds and skill sets;
- Willingness to travel; and
- Excellent computer and social media literacy.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter describing your qualifications and interest for the position; resume; names of three references with phone numbers; and one writing sample to:
16 E. 34 St., 6 Fl.
New York, NY 10016
Attn: Gender Justice Fellow
Please include “Gender Justice Fellow” in the subject line.
This position remains open until filled.
Legal Momentum is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.